Sunday, April 15, 2007

ADOBADA...HERE IS MY OWN

Living abroad for the last fifty years, I had encountered and tasted different "adobado" in my culinary adventures...here is my own!

CHICKEN THIGH WITH POLISH SAUSAGES ADOBO

In a glass or non-metallic bowl, marinate for at last an hour*:

15 chicken thighs
1/2 cup mild vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 head of garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)

*I generally use zip lock bag...no mess in turning the marinade.


Place onto a wok:

Add:

1 Mexican chorizo (remove the casing if any)

Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer until the meat is done, but not falling apart. Remove the chicken from the wok and dredge lightly with flour. Scoop the rendered fats from the chorizo and discard or save and refrigerate for fried rice later.

In another skillet with small amount of vegetable oil, fry the chicken pieces until brown.

Return to the degreased sauce with;

1 smoked polish sausage, cut into 1-inch length.

Simmer until the sausages are well heated, stir occasionally to avoid scorching in the bottom of the wok.

Garnish with chopped scallions or "kuchay" (chives).

Serve 8 to 10

Note:

By adding pineapple chunks or whole water chestnuts will give it a new twist. Whole boiled chestnuts not water chestnuts) is another way to create a new dish. The sweetness of the chestnuts will balance the acidity of the vinegar, This time garnish with Thai basil leaves.


************************************************************************************


Here is another one that may tickle your taste buds...

CHULETAS ADOBADO

This one calls for baby back ribs and so finger licking!

Cut:

1 side of baby back ribs, about 2 lbs., cut into individual portions.

Place and combine on a plastic zip-lock bag with;

1 cup mild white vinegar
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 small can of chipolte chili Optional)
2 bay leaves, crushed
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Refrigerate, turn and shaking the bag once, marinate at least an hour.

Place on a wok, bring to a boil and simmer until the meat is is done (usually the meat on the ribs will shrink and will show part of the bone)...or when the marinade was reduced...thick enough like BBQ sauce. Transfer ribs to a broiler pan, brush the sauce among the ribs and brown.

Instead of a broiler, you can use an outside grill to brown the ribs and this will be just perfect for patio or garden party.


************************************************************************************

ADOBO ESPANIOL

Years ago in Manila my mother has a recipe she called "adobo espaniol". I am not sure now where the name came from...but with my adventure when visiting Spain or the Canary Islands, I haven't encountered anything similar to the dish. I know that my sister still cooks the dish so as my sister-in-law in Manila. Once in a while I cook the dish for our dinner, but I assure you that I had made some editing.

This is me version:

Marinate at least an hour:

1 3 pound whole chic1 cup vinegar
6 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 bay leaf
Place is a wok, bring to a boil and simmer until done but not falling apart.

Dicard the bay leaf.

Scoop the chicken and lightly dredge it with flour.

In another skillet,fry the chicken in a small amount of vegetable oil until browm, return to the sauce in the wok. This will make the chicken looks "luto" (cooked) and does not have an anemic appearance.

Add;

2 cups of mayonaise
2 thinly sliced chorizo de Bilbao*

*Until recently, chorizo de Bilbao was hard to get...now I can get them at Seafood City Supermarket in National City. I use regular peperoni instead and it works.

Simmer for 5- 8 minutes. Scoop the oil that came from the mayonaiseand discard.

Seasoned with salt to taste. I generally don't put any salt, because the chorizo and the mayonaise will satisfy for the salt flavor.

Trasfer to a platter, pour the sauce on top and garnish with sweet gherkins or sweet pickles. I like my sweet gherkins or sweet pickles crisp to the bite.


I think on my mother's version, she did not dredged nor brown the chicken, she had the sweet pickle right afer the incorporation of the mayonaise and I am sure that she also added some sliced hot dogs.

************************************************************************************


ADOBO ALA MONJA

I found this recipe from the Congressional Wives of the United States, dated in the '30. My Lola Edang, cousin of my maternal grandmother was the wife of the first Commissioner of the Philippines during the Commnwealth era. He was Pedro Guevarra, under the first president of the Philippines, Manuel L. Quezon. They lived in Washington DC for many years and when Don Pedro died, she came back to Manila and she comes to my mother's dressshop for her dresses. She was a very graceful and fastidious woman. She regalled us with stories of her life and adventures in America. Like what I had written above, ADOBO is the closest thing as the national dish of the Philippines and that is what she contributed in the book for the COngressional Wives Cook Book.

The recipe is the basic adobo style, but she added mashed liver to the sauce and caled it "Adobo Ala Monja".In my version, I made a concoctions of a pate' recipe and add it to the chicken adobo to make it to the present standard of culinary arts./strong>

No comments: